Do you need more information about our products?
KRYSTALINE 1 main features
- Krystaline 1 reacts with un-hydrated cement particles to grow millions of needle-like crystals deep into the concrete mass. Over a period of weeks and months, these crystals grow, filling the naturally occurring pores and voids in concrete, and permanently blocking the pathways for water and waterborne contaminants. Later, if cracks form due to settling or shrinkage, incoming water triggers the crystallization process and additional crystals begin to grow, filling cracks and ensuring that the structure’s waterproofing barrier is maintained and protected.
- The concrete itself becomes the waterproof layer and the surface treatment is not required to remain intact for the system to be effective. Krystaline 1 consists of Portland cement, specially treated quartz sand and a compound of active chemicals. Krystaline 1 is supplied in powder form and needs only to be mixed with water prior to application.
KRYSTALINE 1 application
- All concrete to be treated with Krystaline 1 must be clean and have an “open” capillary system. Remove laitance, dirt, grease, etc. by means of high pressure water jetting, wet sandblasting or wire brushing.
- Surfaces must be thoroughly saturated prior to the Krystaline 1 application (remove any free-standing water from the surface before application). Krystaline 1 must be applied to saturated concrete.
- Pour water into a clean suitable mixing vessel, then gradually add the Krystaline 1 powder into the water while mixing with a low speed paddle mixer until a consistency of thick oil paint is obtained. Only mix suitable quantities that can be applied within 20 minutes and stir mixture frequently. If the mixture starts to set, do not remix with additional liquid, simply re-stir to restore workability.
- Use 5 parts of Krystaline 1 powder to 2 parts water by volume for slurry consistency.
- Apply one or two coats (according to specification) of Krystaline 1 using a masonry brush or appropriate power spray equipment. When two coats are specified, apply the second coat whilst the first coat is still “green”.
- Post Treatment – Once the Krystaline 1 treatment has reached initial set, moist cure with a fine mist spray of water 2 – 3 times per day for three days. In hot or windy conditions, it should be cured more frequently. Alternative methods can be employed such as covering the application with wet burlap. During the curing period the Krystaline 1 treatment must be protected from rainfall, frost and water puddles.
- Contact a Krystaline representative for more detailed application instructions.
- Krystaline 1 is an effective waterproofing system for rigid concrete structures only and may not reliably seal cracks and joints that experience constant or repeated movement.
KRYSTALINE 1 main benefits
- Stops water ingress in concrete
- Replaces unreliable exterior membranes, liners and coatings
- Reaches well below the surface and is not affected by surface wear or abrasion
- Self-seals hairline cracks
- Reactivates in the presence of moisture
- Waterproofing increases with time
- Waterproofs from any direction (i.e. positive or negative side)
- Treatment may be applied to old or new concrete
- Safe for contact with potable water
- Resistant xto the freeze-thaw cycle
- Protects reinforcing steel against corrosion
- Increased durability decreases building maintenance and repair costs
KRYSTALINE 1 typical applications
- Maritime projects
- Submarine works
- Elevator pits
- Concrete walls and slabs
- Construction joints
- Marine structures
- Swimming pools
- Water treatment plants
- Potable water tanks
- Parking structures